11 Feb 2018

Week Six

What a week!  I managed to fit so much in that I feel more exhausted than normal.  And I usually feel exhausted.  Mum life, am I right? 

This week saw me sell Molly's cot and change table, Mushroom bring home his first big school homework, I got my IUD inserted, Mumsy visited, and we finally ditched Molly's dummy.

I've talked about selling things on facebook before, like what a shit fight.  I'd had no bites for the cot and change table so I reduced the price somewhat and someone commented same day.  I didn't get my hopes up but this person's Mum actually came, paid and took the cot and change table away the very next day.  I was astonished!  I should have gone out and bought a lotto ticket.  Juffin managed to get pants on before 9am and helped load up her ute and we waved goodbye to cots, toddler beds and change tables forever!  Huzzah!  Miracles do happen.  I felt like running out and spending the money on booze to celebrate but, you know, adulting.

I forgot that I also managed to off load some nappies to a friend of a friend as well so we're slowly getting rid of shit.  Halle-freaking-lujah!  I go through phases of just wanting to torch it all.  I know I'm not alone.  I think I have 10 items of clothing that I actually wear on a regular basis, not including my work uniform, and I'd love to just get rid of everything.  Juffin is such a hoarder and still has clothes that he hasn't worn since we got together,10 freaking years ago!  If you see a fire over Annandale one night, don't be alarmed, it just means that I finally lost my shit and burnt all the useless DVD's and CD's that we're unable to play.....

Mushroom seems to have settled into school quite well.  After the shock of having to go five days a week, we're getting into a bit of a routine and we have a list of jobs that he has to do in the morning.  Hooray for putting away the cutlery and brushing his own teeth!  He's very methodical and likes to see his progress so we've done up a little chart for him to tick off after each job.  It seems to be working but we fall down at the putting socks and shoes on... of course.  What is it with fucking kids and putting shoes on FFS?!  Maybe it's because I wrote shoes and socks?  Probably.  Not that he can read yet... 

We haven't been late once and from this week I'm reducing my hours at work to continue working 3 days but finishing at my old time of 4.30pm.  This way Juffin can drop Molly off on her daycare days so I don't have to go in and back twice in the morning.  We've talked about moving her to the centre down the road but she's so happy where she is so this is what we'll do for now. Mushroom loves after school care, like really loves it, so hopefully this arrangement works for us.  Fingers crossed! 

IUD insertion was on Wednesday.  Juffin had the day off too so we cleaned up the house a bit and then headed into GP. I have to be honest, I was expecting pain.  There was no pain.  I mean it's as comfortable as having something inserted into your uterus should be, but it wasn't awful.  I didn't cry.  I gritted my teeth a bit and it was uncomfortable sure, but I didn't want to cry out with pain.  What can I say?  I guess I'm just used to having things put inside my vagina, HAHAHAHAAH!  But seriously, it was fine.  And things have been good since.  A bit of cramping that first 24 hours, but nothing like usual period pain. I know it's early days yet, so I will keep you posted! 

Mumsy arrived on Wednesday night for a short visit and we ended up drinking 2 bottles of wine and staying up too late.  I love my Mum.  I wish we could afford to visit her as I feel so slack with them always having to come here.  I need to make visits more of a priority.  I miss my family. Living away sucks. 

Sunrise behind us

And finally, the highlight, ditching the dreaded dummy!  Molly is obsessed with the dummy.  Ever since my hospitalisation, she's relied on it more and more.  We only gave the dummy for sleep time.  She never had it any other time.  But she was asking for it.  Constantly.  She also had it in her mouth the whole time she was asleep!  I didn't even realise this until I went to check on her one night and heard her sucking away.  I mean seriously?!  Mushroom used to spit his out and that was it for the night, Molly, not so much.  After a shit night on Thursday night, with her waking up because she couldn't find it and then refusing to go back to sleep, I decided enough was enough. 

Mum and I did the hill on Friday morning and Molly was in my bed when I left.  With her dummy stuffed in her mouth.  When we got home it was gone, and I assumed that Juffin had put it in the usual spot.  After dropping Mum off and doing some shopping, we got home and Molly said she was sleepy.  I hunted high and low for that fucking dummy for nigh on half an hour to no avail and that's when I decided to finally ditch it.  WHAT A PERFORMANCE! 

She cried for an hour!  An hour!!  I had to sing, cuddle and pat her like a baby.  It was horrendous. And then she slept until school pick up when I had to wake her up.

Of course.

Friday night she asked for it a few times but went to sleep without issue, and then SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! 

And what about Saturday you may ask, well, she did THE SAME THING! Asked for it a few times, then said, No dummy for Molly, Molly a big girl and mucked around a bit and went to sleep.  Didn't see her again until 6.30.   

I swear.  Parenting is a kick in the arse.  Nothing is ever as bad as you think it will be, but then other things will floor you.

I've done the hill twice this week but not much of anything else.  I have a bit of a cold and ended up eating salt and vinegar chips yesterday as I just wanted to be able to taste something. I should have just made some tom yum soup but I'm trying to have a better attitude towards food, no regrets! 

Is there anything more glorious than diving into a cold pool
after mowing the lawn?  

No comments:

Post a Comment