26 Jan 2018

Mushroom's First Day of School

Mushroom has finally started school.  We have concluded our first week and I think I'm more anxious now about the coming weeks than I was this time last week!

Mushroom has not been excited about school. He hasn't liked shopping for shoes, or bags, or uniforms.  He has not been looking forward to school at all.  I don't know why.  I'm not sure if we didn't talk it up enough or if we talked about it too much.  He just wasn't keen.  He especially didn't like the idea of going every day.

Every day Mum?!  Every single day!

I reassured him it was only Monday to Friday but when you only go to kindy 2 days a week and spend the other days with your grandmother and your Mum, it's kind of a shock.  And kids have no concept of time.  Only it feels super long... poor bastard doesn't realise he has 13 years of school ahead of him!

Monday started like usual.  I mean at least school doesn't start until 8.40am.  There was a bit of 'I  don't wanna go to big school' nonsense but he soon got over it when he realised that I'd made pancakes for breakfast.

That is an M shaped pancake.. best Mum ever!

He wolfed those down and then Juffin helped him get dressed whilst I finished getting the girl ready for daycare.  When he walked out in his little uniform, with the shoes and the socks, I had to quickly stuff some tissues in my pocket.


We decided to drop Molly off first so we didn't have to worry about her running amok, and on the drive there, she wouldn't stop asking where her brother was.  I mean honestly, do they both make me want to cry?

We set off for school when I got home.  Lots of worried little faces outside the classroom. Lots of anxious big faces too.  I kept my sunglasses on because I'm the biggest sook out.




We got inside and spent 10 minutes sorting out all the booklist stuff and ticking things off sheets etc.  There were activities set up on different tables, drawing, colouring, construction, blocks.  Mushroom picked these click and go sticks and he and Juffin spent a bit of time engineering a masterpiece and then we left...



We had a few cuddles, he chased after us a few times but he settled down well and there were no tears.  Of course as soon as we were outside the classroom I started sobbing and I kept it up for most of the walk through the school and then back home.  Juffin laughed at me but he held my hand all the way home.

I didn't think I would be this emotional about him starting school. I'm generally not phased with this sort of thing but something about this made me especially sad.  Probably because I know he'll be different now.  He'll change and grow and learn of course, but he'll also be challenged and hurt and scared at times and if he doesn't tell me about it, then I won't know.  I think that's what I'm most afraid of.  I don't want him to stop talking to me.  Insert sad face emoji here.

Survival kit from the teachers
I was fine once we got home.  Juffin went off to work and I lay on the couch watching crappy TV and staring at the unfolded washing.  I thought I'd have plenty of time to get stuff done but 2.45 rolled around so quickly and it was time for school pick up before I knew it.  I guess 5.5 hours isn't that long after all.

He was excited to see me, and full of news as per our following convo:

Jess: How did you like school?
M: It was good.
Jess: Was it fun?
M: Yeah.
Jess:What did you do?
M: I don't know....
Jess:  Did you make any friends?  Who did you play with?
M:  I don't know...
Jess: ?!*%#!

Guess who googled questions to ask their kids about school after this?

Main thing was he said he had fun, he didn't hate it, he didn't cry, he wasn't super psyched to go back the next day but I didn't have to drag him.  I know that that stage will come eventually!  I took him for a gelato to celebrate.  Starting school is kinda a big deal.  He was a bit stoked.


On Tuesday his teacher told me that he's distracted and needs to put his listening ears on and that he hit someone else with his lunchbox so I guess the good start couldn't last forever.  I was a bit horrified, but she said that he was absolutely fine, they're all adjusting, they're only 5... heaven help me. The first of, what I'm guessing will be, many teacher chats... hooray!

Unfortunately I have realised that I'll be paying even more for care for my bloody kids now that Mushroom is at school and I've lost my free babysitter as my MIL is moving away.  I now have to factor in before and after school care and an extra day of daycare for Molly, and to do the same hours on the same days means I will be starting at 9am and not finishing until 5.30pm.  Finishing so late is giving me major anxiety.  I mean I know people do it, and do it everyday of the week, but I like the balance that my part-time hours brings and if I'm not finishing until 5.30, I'm barely having the time to get dinner on the table at a reasonable hour, let alone have some play time with the kids.  Molly's in bed by 7.15 FFS!

I don't know what the solution is, but next week will be a massive adjustment so we'll see what happens...

I have a kid in school now.  How did that even happen?!

No comments:

Post a Comment